- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Pet Laser Surgery at Our Homer Glen Animal Hospital
Pet surgery may be necessary for a variety of reasons, but if you must schedule this form of pet care, you no doubt want it to be as easy and comfortable a procedure as possible for your special friend. That's why our Homer Glen animal hospital is proud to offer state-of-the-art pet laser surgery. Our advanced equipment and techniques can help your pet get through his surgery with flying colors, especially as administered by the skilled hand of our Homer Glen veterinarian, Dr. Ihrke.
How Does Laser Surgery Work?
Laser surgery may sound like science fiction, but in fact this technique has been in use since the 1960s, refined and perfected over the decades to reach its current sophisticated state. The laser itself is a device that emits a beam of focused, amplified light. Different types of medical lasers operate in different frequency ranges to convey various benefits, including deep tissue healing; a surgical laser has sufficient energy to make incisions by vaporizing tissue. Our Homer Glen veterinarian's surgical laser does the same job that a scalpel has traditionally done -- and it can do it even better.
Advantages of Laser Surgery for Pets
Laser surgery for pets offers some distinct and meaningful advantages over traditional surgical techniques. Some of the most compelling reasons to prefer this high-tech form of pet care include:
- Minimal tissue damage - A surgical laser can slice through tissue more finely than the sharpest scalpel. This produces the thinnest possible incision with a minimum of damage to surrounding tissues.
- Reduced bleeding - A surgical laser's energy not only cuts; it also cauterizes. The beam seals the wound at the incision site instantly, dramatically reducing the amount of blood loss and tissue swelling while also reducing the risk of infection.
- Less discomfort - In addition to sealing off the wound itself and any involved blood vessels, the surgical laser used by our veterinarian in Home Glen also seals nerves that may have to be cut during the procedure. Sealing the nerves eliminates much of the pain associated with pet surgery.
- Speedier healing - A smaller, more neatly-sealed incision by our veterinarian in Homer Glen sets the stage for speedier healing with fewer potential post-surgical complications. That means your pet feels better and regains function sooner.
Call Our Animal Hospital in Homer Glen to Schedule Pet Surgery
Our animal hospital in Homer Glen can perform many different types of procedures via pet laser surgery. Examples include spay and neuter surgery, tumor or lesion removal, eyelid surgery and oral surgery. Other aspects of these surgeries are similar to traditional procedures, including the careful use and monitoring of general anesthesia.
Our veterinarian in Homer Glen will be happy to discuss the details of pet laser surgery with you. Call Colonial Manor Animal Hospital at 708-301-8200 to learn more and set a date for your pet's procedure!